Friday, January 31, 2014

Also Known As Forgiveness

Hey leaders, leadership life hack here, don't hold a grudge.  Some people get so offended when someone does something we don't approve of, or does something wrong.  As a leader that hopes to have influence on people, it is important you don't hold a grudge, it's also known as forgiveness.

I work with a population of students where a select few don't handle not getting their way very well.  They say things they shouldn't, they do things they shouldn't, then they need my help.  There it is my moment of glory, I remember how you treated me the other day, and now Ha, Ha, I get the last laugh.  No help for you.

Or should I help, should I swallow a big gulp of pride and help this person, even though the other day they didn't live up to my expectation?

I always say to my students, "Don't let someone else dictate your behavior."  I teach, coach, speak, write, because I want to help people be their best.  Those opportunities can be limited so I better take them when I can.

Honor your value system.  You are a leader, why do you lead?  Personally I hope to impact people's lives, I want to help them be their best.  When they come asking for help or guidance, I don't want that to be the time I get them back for their reaction or mistake the other day.

They won't keep coming back.  If you shut someone down, you let them know, "I'm sorry I can't help you, you were wrong the other day and I need to show you how that feels."  That person won't keep coming back for help.  You may have missed a chance to lead.

Remember you lead for a reason and you don't have endless opportunities to affect those people's lives.  Be careful with each opportunity and make it count.  Forgiveness makes sense.  When people know they will be forgiven for mistakes, they will try to make less of them.  Empower your team by not holding a grudge, also known as forgiveness.

Today you can lead different, you are invited to be about a different life and make your leadership count.

How do you handle people that mistreat you and then return for help?

If you would like more from Narrow Gate Coaching sign up for my free E-Challenge here.

No comments:

Post a Comment