Monday, December 16, 2013

Are you content or did you settle?

The head coach of a girls swim team I work with was talking to one of the swimmers about some things that would help her get faster.  Her response was, "I'm content with how I am right now."

Content?  How does that work?  I'm having a hard time understanding this concept.  I understand the concept of not wanting, not coveting stuff, not comparing what I have with what other people have.  I don't though, understand accepting less than what you are capable of, it seems sad.  I'm all for being happy with who you are.  What I'm concerned with is when being content, becomes settling.

This is not to say I have always done my best and put forth my full effort (just ask my wife how good I am at cleaning), but I'm not content with those areas.  I have tried to get better.

I have a hard time being content when I work with a group of students and some in that group fail.  I can't be content with that.  I can't settle for not getting the best out of people, so I continue to push and I continue to try new things to help me improve and more importantly to bring out the best in them.

It is important to me that each student understands that concept.  I want them to understand they don't have to settle, don't settle for C's if you can get B's, don't settle for B's if you can get A's.  Don't settle for a major, just because your parents want you to fulfill their dream.  Don't settle in your relationships.  You are here and you are special and you deserve your best.

Are you willing to settle?  Or will you be "Bout a Different Life"?

What areas are you tired of settling for in your life?

If this has been helpful, please share it.

To learn more go to Narrow Gate Coaching.

1 comment:

  1. Never settle! I appreciated all I read here and know that I am with you on the "house cleaning" issue. There is work to be done in this area for sure.

    One of the little thoughts I always shared with staff and students is that "perception is reality". We are not here to please everyone; however, if your teachers, parents, and peers see you as a "settler", you probably are a "settler". If the coach above perceives his swimmer as a "settler", she is a "settler" and his efforts with her will most likely begin to match her efforts as well. This will not help either one of them. Don't settle; it will become your reality.

    ReplyDelete