Friday, December 6, 2013

Who's That, Who's That

As a high school teacher, I get to hear all kinds of excuses and reasons for things not being done, or not being at their best, most of the time somehow it comes back to me being the problem.

I am happy to accept that blame.  As a teacher, I also can be victim of passing the buck.

Certainly I'm not to blame for this students poor behavior or their struggle through school, I'm sure they have parents to blame for that.  

I'm reminded of a Laurie Berkner song; nothing like a good children's song.  Who's that looking in the mirror, who's that looking back at me...THAT's ME

This is what you get when you have young children, this is the kind of knowledge you acquire.

The answer to our mediocrity, our short comings is often right there in front of us.  We can continue to blame others for the state of our lives, or we can look at ourselves, look at the choices we make each day, each hour, each minute.  

Those are the ones you control.  They are the ones you can change.  

My students, can't change me, I can't change their parents, but I can change my perspective, I can accept them for their shortcomings.  More importantly, I can accept my own shortcomings, and those can be the ones I decide to focus on.  

The road through the Narrow Gate is yours, living a different life takes looking in the mirror and recognizing this is the person who can bring about the most change.

Follow on twitter @ryngaskill

No comments:

Post a Comment