Friday, December 27, 2013

Presence or Presents

With Christmas having just passed the most asked questions deal with how our Christmas went.  We often ask did you get everything you wanted, especially to children.  So how about you, did you get everything you hoped for?

This morning my eight year old, Grace joined me at high school swim practice.  Leaving the practice some of the older kids told me Grace couldn't tell them what she got for Christmas.  I responded, kind of in jest, "That's because presents don't matter."  The swimmers scoffed and kind of laughed, a response that makes me sure that was a moment of "Bout a Different Life."

I was proud of my daughter, she didn't feel it necessary to list all the things she received for Christmas over the last few days.  I'm sure she could though, list the people she saw and spent time with (I'm sure she can list the presents too).

Our family spent a few days in Virginia with cousins we see only a handful of times each year.  Each time is special for the kids.  When we arrive, the kids disappear and every now and then show up around the kitchen looking for food.  I'm sure that it is these things Grace will really remember as she gets older, not the new American Girl paint set.

The memory of presents will fade away and soon be forgotten.  I'm reminded to not put faith in possessions as they will certainly grow old, outdated, and become obsolete.  People though, relationships, if worked on will grow stronger and even more meaningful.

I'd like to make more of an effort to focus on relationships and people moving into 2014.  This whole journey I have begun to share, is all about people; but sometimes I can look past the people that are right in front of me.

Grace reminded me this morning the importance of people, and to be present with those people.  Who is it in your life you would like to be more present with?

If you are enjoying "Bout a Different Life"  follow Ryan on Twitter @ryngaskill
Sign up to get updates on Narrow Gate Coaching
And as always please share this with your friends and followers.
Thank you for continuing to read and share "BDL"

No comments:

Post a Comment